Sunday, August 24, 2008

Top Speakers Money Making Tip Quotask For More And Youll Get Morequot

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

Who says higher education isn't worth the price of admission, especially graduate school?

When I was reading a skinny little book of behavioral research findings as a Ph.D. candidate, I came across about 20 true gems of wisdom all in one place.

One of my favorites pertains to persuasion, and it applies to both selling and to negotiating, and by putting it to use I have done very well, thank you.

Simply put, this nugget says: "If you ask for more, you'll get more; and if you ask for less, you'll get less."

Doesn't this fly in the face of those who promote modesty, who maintain that if you ask for little, just a pittance, you'll be less likely to be rejected? Aren't the meek supposed to inherit the earth?

Yes, this notion does disagree with those who would take a more humble path.

Just as that senior character in the play and movie, "The Producers," proclaimed: "If you've got it; flaunt it!" this adage could say: "If you're good, ask for twice or three times what you'll accept!"

I recall doing this when I was negotiating a video tape deal with a division of CBS. Literally, I asked for triple what I would have accepted for the one-day shooting, simply as a fun and provocative negotiating gambit.

You can imagine how stunned I was when my counterpart thought for about fifteen seconds and replied, "I believe we can do that!"

Try this for yourself.

If they really want you or the value you're offering, they won't flatly reject your request, and some will even take you up on it!

Best-selling author of 12 books and more than 900 articles, Dr. Gary S. Goodman is considered "The Gold Standard"--the foremost expert in sales development, customer service, and telephone effectiveness. Top-rated as a speaker, seminar leader, and consultant, his clients extend across the globe and the organizational spectrum, from the Fortune 1000 to small businesses. He can be reached at: gary@customersatisfaction.com.

No comments: