Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Negotiation Tip Ask The Chef To Create Something New Just For You

Writen by Dr. Gary S. Goodman

Most of us are too uncreative when we negotiate in business.

Typically, we hear a proposal and immediately think, "Gee, if I want to keep this discussion going, I need to counter this with something reasonably close to the offer I'm hearing."

Wrong, totally, utterly, wrong!

I recall doing some business in my hometown, Chicago, and I was feeling feisty at a certain continental restaurant. The waiter came by, and I said:

"I know your chef is good, but I don't see anything on the menu that excites me, so would you please ask him to whip something up, and surprise me with it?"

After probing a little, to hear if I like fish, meat, or fowl, the waiter disappeared, and during the next two hours I was treated to a succession of delicious, and quite original dishes.

It wasn't cheap, but it was exciting!

Having an off-the-menu-experience is cool, not only in restaurants, but in negotiations.

Let's say you're on a job interview, you like the company, but hate the position.

Tell them, "I'd love to work with you," but this isn't the right fit, in terms of a position. So, please consider me for anything else that will meet my (financial) criteria, and maybe we can get together on that. Thanks!"

That's enticing them into having an off-the-menu experience.

If you don't hear from them, call back every month, to check in.

Believe me, if you have a lot to offer, they make cook up something very tasty, just for you!

Dr. Gary S. Goodman, President of www.Customersatisfaction.com, is a popular keynote speaker, management consultant, and seminar leader and the best-selling author of 12 books, including Reach Out & Sell Someone® and Monitoring, Measuring & Managing Customer Service. He is a frequent guest on radio and television, worldwide. A Ph.D. from USC's Annenberg School, Gary offers programs through UCLA Extension and numerous universities, trade associations, and other organizations in the United States and abroad. He is headquartered in Glendale, California, and he can be reached at (818) 243-7338 or at: gary@customersatisfaction.com

No comments: